Never mind that the project you’re in isn’t good; shine as bright as you can. And find the truth. We are either in the truth or we’re not. The truth is difficult to get to. This conversation we are having is the truth. We get to this place and the cameras are rolling, we’re great.”
– Alex O’Loughlin, Actors workshop HI, March 2011.
We continue our ‘biography‘ and account of Alex’s life, in this fourth part of ‘Alex O’Loughlin’s Diary‘.
Just a reminder that it is a chronological account of Alex’s public life (mostly his career), gathered from information of events he attended, interviews, articles and candid pictures
You can find the first part here , the second part here and the third part here
(Please remember that underlined and coloured words, are links that you can click on to take you to more detail of that story)
- 4 May 2013 – Alex, Malia and the children (Saxon & Spike) attend a party at the Oahu Club for Egan’s son Jett’s, 1st birthday.
- June/July 2013 – During hiatus, Alex together with his oldest son Saxon, visited the Bora Bora Turtle Centre on the French Polynesian Islands. He ‘adopted’ a turtle and became the Godfather of Mathilda, the turtle.
- 10 July 2013 – The Blessing Ceremony for Season 4 was held at the new studios, at Diamond Head. It was kind of low key in comparison with the previous years’ event. (Here is our account of the ceremony)
- 22 September 2013 – Alex visits LA for a number of interviews at a press day and also recorded an interview for ‘The Talk“, to be broadcasted later. Alex also recorded a ‘Questions and Answers’ video, where he answered some fans´ questions. (Here is our transcript of it)
- 26 September 2013 – Alex and Daniel Dae Kim, together with some of the support cast, meet the fans on the red carpet at SOTB 4, for the start of Season 4. (Link to one one of the interviews where Alex talks about how Lion got his name)
- 27 September 2013 – To promote the start of Season 4 of Hawaii Five-0, Alex appears on ‘The Talk‘. He shows some adorable pictures of his youngest son Lion. (Here is our transcript of the interview)
- 27 September 2013 – During the broadcast of Episode 4:01, Alex, together with Peter Lenkov and Daniel Dae Kim, do some live tweeting. During the ad break Alex did some twerking 🙂
- 24 October 2013 – Alex, together with Malia, attend the 2nd Annual Australians in Film Awards Gala at Intercontinental Hotel in Beverly Hills, California. Alex was one of the honorees that received the Breakthrough Award (Here is the link to a fan-encounter from the evening)
- 2 November 2013 – Alex attends the CBS International Press. (Here is our transcript of one of the interviews he did on the day)
- 3 November 2013 – Alex and Daniel Dae Kim visit the Kent Williams Gallery for opening of artist Mari Inukai’s work.
- 17 November 2013 – Alex assist his instructor and friend Egan Inoue by co-hosting a ‘Self Defence Seminar’ to raise money for the Woman And Children’s hospital. (Here are the stories we got from fans who were lucky enough to attend the event. Miek & K’s story)
- 15 December 2013 – Alex, together with other cast member of Hawaii Five-0 participated in the Kokua for the Philippines Telethon – fundraiser to benefit the victims of Typhoon Haiyan. It was held at Hilton Hawaiian Village. Because of rain, the TV broadcast was cancelled.
- 20 December 2013 – Alex together with some CBS executives and other cast and crew members from Hawaii Five-0, spend some time with the kids at the Kaiulani Elementary School, for the 3rd annual CBS toy drive.
- 6 January 2014 – During the afternoon, there is a fire at Alex’s home and the Honolulu Fire Department is called in to put out the fire. They were called by the neighbours after they heard an explosion coming from the garage. The fire was contained to the garage and the flat above it. It appears that the fire started when old rags, that were used for oiling wood, caught fire. (Here is our account of the event)
- 21 January 2014 – The site ‘Just Jared’, publishes some pictures from the set of Hawaii Five-0, of Alex playing around in the sea. (Here Paula played around with Alex and some of the pictures 😀 )
- 23 February 2014 – Alex and his son Saxon attend a workshop of the Brazilian Jiu-jitsu master from LA, Royce Gracie.
- 15 March 2014 – Alex was honoured at the Tastes and Treasures benefit at the Honolulu Waldorf school. He attended the event with Malia, but there was hardly any pictures taken at the event.
- 21 March 2014 – And hiatus for Alex begins as shooting of Season 4 wraps. This year it seems like none of the main cast members attended any party’s.
- 29 March 2014 – Alex signed some Taylor Blue Nail polish bottles as part of the ‘Paint it Forward‘ campaign and they were sold through the Taylor’s gift store.
- 29 March 2014 – Alex and Scott Caan attend the Metamoris III, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu fighting event. ( Link to what we could find of the event)
- 12 April 2014 – For the second year in a row Alex shows his support for the fight against cancer by attending the Relay for Life event and takes part in the opening ceremony.
- 16 April 2014 – Alex and family was spotted at a celebration (we guess, a wedding rehearsal dinner), when Miss Hawaii 2012 gave them some impromptu entertainment with a Hula dance and she posted the pictures online.
- 17 April 2014 – Alex and Malia Jones tie the knot in Hawaii. (Our account of their public life together)
- 21 April 2014 – Alex got to some sign some more bottles and a second round of signed Taylor Blue Nail polish sells out online within minutes of being available. ( Here we shared the story about Alex’s involvement with Organ Donation and some fan accounts of the bottles they bought)
- 23 April 2014 – Alex while on honeymoon, visiting Masi Oka and having lunch at the fish market in Tokyo Japan.
- 1 May 2014 – Alex is photographed in Sydney Australia at Audi – it seems that he and Malia went to visit his homeland down under as part of their honeymoon.
- 8 May 2014 – Alex ordering his new motorbike (a 2014 Harley-Davidson Deluxe), at Cycle City with Ronnie.
- 30 May 2014 – To get over the boredom of no news during hiatus, some fans took to twitter and got Alex voted in as ‘Hottie of the Week’ on @ENews! (Here is our account of it)
- 17 June 2014 – Alex is photographed with his new “toy” when he picked it up at the dealer – a brand new customized Harley. (Here is our story about it)
- 23 June 2014 – To support Aiden James, Alex gave a talk at the Ohana Arts Program for the children.
- 8 July 2014 – Alex, together with the rest of the Hawaii Five-0 team, gather for the Season 5 Blessing ceremony
- 11 July 2014 – Alex and Peter Lenkov attend the ceremony of ‘The Change of Command‘ at Pearl Habor.
- 16 August 2014 – Alex attend the ‘Walk in the Country Fundraiser’, hosted by the Boys and Girls Club of Hawaii.
- 18 August 2014 – Alex together with Daniel Dae Kim and Jorge Garcia do the Ice Bucket Challenge to raise and donate money and create awareness for ALS.
- 5 September 2014 – Alex with Fred Fisher, do an interview on HPR Helping Hands Radio about the upcoming ‘Walk to defeat ALS’. (Here is the transcript of the interview)
- 6 September 2014 – Alex, together with his family take part in the ALS walk. (Here is our account of the day)
- 12 September 2014 – Alex cutting the cake for the filming of the 100th episode of Hawaii Five-0.
- 13 September 2014 – The time the main cast joined Alex on the red carpet for SOTB 5.
- 21 September 2014 – We did not get much information about the event, but there was a ‘Belt Ceremony’ at Egan’s gym and it looked like Alex got another stripe on his blue belt.
- 3 – 5 October 2014 – Alex visits Japan with his friend Enson Inoue, where Enson was honoured with his retirement from fighting. In the process of the weekend Alex taught Enson (and us) the finer art of deep thrusting when Hula Hooping 🙂 (Here are some footage of the weekend)
- 16 October 2014 – Alex together with DDK show there support for Spirit day with a short video and by wearing purple.
- 26 October 2014 – Alex and Scott visit with some of the press in LA to do interviews as promotion for the 100th episode of Hawaii Five-0. They also recorded a video of answering some fans questions. (Here is our transcript of it)
- 6 November 2014 – Alex attends the opening evening of the ‘Honolulu Fashion Week’ with his wife Malia, who was introducing her swimwear line at the show. Chi McBride was also seen it the audience.
- 7 November 2014 – Alex and Scott Caan do interviews on “The Talk” and “ET“, as part of the celebration of the broadcast of the 100th episode.
- 19 November 2014 – Once a again some of the Taylor’s Blue nail polish, that Alex signed, come up for sale in the Taylor’s Gift online store and once again it was sold out within minutes.
- 22 November 2014 – Alex attends the fundraiser for the Lauakea Foundation.
Thank you to all the fans and fans sites who so regularly keep us all updated with all the news surrounding Alex.
Whether I was working on a building site or auditioning or moving to the US, I’ve always done it with all of my heart. I don’t know how to do it any other way.
Alex O’Loughlin, GQ Australia, November 2011
We continue our ‘biography‘ and account of Alex’s life, in this third part of ‘Alex O’Loughlin’s Diary‘.
Just a reminder that it is a chronological account of his life (mostly his career), gathered from information of events he attended, interviews, articles and candid pictures posted by others.
You can find the first part here and the second part here
- 11 July 2012 – In a beautiful open door ceremony, Alex and some of the cast and crew took part in the now traditional season ‘Blessing Ceremony‘ on the first day of shooting Season 3 of Hawaii Five-0. (Transcript of HNN interview)
- 1 August 2012 – Alex, together with Scott and Masi Oka attend the Television Critics Association (TCA) press day, having lots of fun and even showing of their choice in socks. (Link to interviews from the day)
- 4 August 2012 – Alex and Scott Caan dropped by to show love and support at Kuhio Beach at the 9th Annual Surf4Hugs, taking lots of pictures with fans.
- 23 August 2012 – Alex’s rep confirms questions from the media, that Alex and his partner Malia Jones, are expecting a child together – both of them already parents with a son each, from previous relationships. (what was not mentioned at the time, was that Malia was already more than 7 months into the pregnancy)
- 8 September 2012 – The Navy SEAL Foundation of Hawaii annual fundraising dinner is held aboard the USS Missouri. The foundation provides money, support, scholarships and computers for the wives and children of SEALs killed in action. Alex was the guest of honour!
- 12 September 2012 – Alex and some of the cast share some thoughts and information with the media. In an interview with HNN, Alex mentioned that he and Malia were expecting a boy in about 4-5 weeks time.
- 23 September 2012 – It was Hawaii Five-o SOTB night and once again the fans from all over the world gathered at Waikiki beach to see Alex and the cast on the red carpet and to watch the first episode of Season 3 with them. Malia, already 8 months pregnant also attended the event with Alex. Some of the guest that arrived with them included Alex’s son Saxon, Malia’s son Spike, Malia’s father and stepmother, and also her brother, Pro-Surfer Daniel Jones and his wife Natalie. Kacy Byxbee (Scott Caan’s girlfriend, who is part of the Hawaii Five-0 wardrobe department) also came with them, as Scott was still in LA after his mother had passed away earlier that week. (Link to the HNN interview with Alex)
- Also present at Sunset on the beach, was CBS executive Nina Tassler, who has been an advocate for Alex’s career since the Moonlight days. She gave up a night at the Emmy’s for this event, and was in Hawaii with her husband director Jerry Levine. In a live interview with HNN, she mentioned that Alex is a real superstar! (Unfortunately I only witnessed the interview live and have not since then, been able to locate a video copy of it anywhere)
- 25 October 2012 – Alex’s second child Lion is born in Honolulu. It was announced through Alex’s publicist, that Malia gave birth to the boy that day. (This is the link to our post about the announcement)
- 10 November 2012 – Alex and Scott attend the CBS International press conference in LA. Alex clearly looked tired and sleep deprived in some of the interviews.
- 14 November 2012 – Cro Customs from LA, made a special delivery of Alex’s newly built racing motorcycle to him in Hawaii.
- 9 February 2013 – Alex hosted the Annual Sustainable Coastlines Hawaii ‘ Love your Ocean‘ Fundraiser in Hawaii. Alex attended the event with his partner Malia and their collective family. Alex posed for a lot of photos with fans, but people attending, were asked not to take photos and no pictures of him with his family members were made available by the official photographers.
- February 2013 – Hawaii Five-0, Episode 3:19 covered a story about a girl from a roller blade team that got murdered and while shooting with the team Alex happily posed for a photo with them. When stunt co-ordinator, Jeff Cadiente tweeted the picture, the fangirls went crazy. Look at it and you will see why. (Thank you Jeff for providing us with all these gems!)
- 13 April 2013 – Alex and partner Malia attend the ‘Relay for Life’ of University of Hawaii, Manoa. He participates as guest speaker and took photographs with fans. Malia can be seen in the background on some of them.
- 13 April 2013 – After having a set visit from singer James Taylor and his family during the week, Alex and Malia, together with fellow actor Daniel Dae Kim and his wife Mia, attended his concert that evening.
- 19 April 2013 – It has now become a familiar sight on the set of Season 3 – Daniel Dae Kim tweeted a photo of Alex, smoking a cigar and this time also playing his guitar. The cigars were often seen on the set of Moonlight and it seems like Alex has made it his tobacco of choice again for this season, with lots of behind the scenes pictures showing him smoking one.
- 22 April 2013 – Alex attend the ‘Wrap party’ for the Hawaii Five-0 cast and crew.
- April 2013 – Alex seems to be having a lot of fun with his sport of preference at the moment. We are regularly entertained by some workout information from his Brazilian Jiu-jitsu trainer Egan Inoue. (Thank you Egan, you are a star!)
- 29 April 2013 – One of the big surprises for fans this year, came when as part of Episode 3:21 of Hawaii Five-0, broadcast this evening, Alex allowed a photo of his son Saxon to be used, to show Steve McGarrett as a young boy playing football.
- 13 May 2013 – Alex appear on the Ellen show for the second time, surprising fans with pictures of his six month old son Lion. Bursting with pride, he talked about his sons and about playing handyman while upgrading his mid-century house in Hawaii.
To be continued here
This page is dedicated to every person who have their own Blog, Facebook page, Tumblr, Pinterest board and Twitter account dedicated to Alex and his work.
And also every person on set and close to Alex who shared information, pictures and news about him all around the internet.
We are forever grateful!
I am living my dreams and that is really a cliché, but I am so happy right now. I’m so happy with my work. I’m healthy, I’m fit, I’ve got a great job, and I’ve got friends. I go home and I am just me. I am who I am. I’m Alex. I’m a son. I’m a brother, I’m a father, I’m a lover ….. I’m whatever I am. But it is just me.
Alex O’Loughlin, FilmInk June 2010
We continue our ‘biography‘ and account of Alex’s life in this second part of ‘Alex O’Loughlin’s Diary‘. Just a reminder that it is a chronological account of his life (mostly his career), gathered from information of events he attended, interviews, articles, candid pictures and his own MySpace blog
You can find the first part here. Please remember to check in from time to time as we update the information.
- 14 January 2010 – Alex is doing some modelling again, and this time for photographer Christopher Morris. The photos to be used in the Sunday Telegraph’s, Sunday Magazine of 2 May 2010.
- 10 February 2010 – Confirmation that Alex will take up the role of Steve McGarrett on the reboot of the very popular TV Show Hawaii Five-0.
- 16 February 2010 – Alex picked up his newly painted Evo Sporty motor cycle from Cro Customs.
- 19 February 2010 – Alex and the rest of the cast take part in the first table reading for the pilot episode.
- 5 March 2010 – Filming the pilot for Hawaii Five-0 commenced, with Alex in the iconic role of Steve McGarrett.
- 12 March 2010 – The scenes for funeral of Steve’s dad, are shot at the Punchbowl with Alex all dressed up in his Navy Uniform. In the end only a short clip of it made it to the show. Some of it can be seen on the DVD deleted scenes.
- 27 March 2010 – Shooting the pilot of Hawaii Five-0 wrapped and Alex was already on his way back to LA to start his promotional work for his first lead role in an American movie – The Back-Up Plan with Jennifer Lopez.
- 28 March 2010 – Alex finds himself back in LA for a press junket, held for The Back-Up Plan. Alex and Jennifer do a lot of interviews, looking relaxed and having lots of fun and laughs together. (The links to most of those interviews can be found under the year 2010 on this page)
- 1 April 2010 – Alex is playing it cool in front of Carlotta Moye’s camera. The result is a line of amazing photos from this shoot for Madison magazine, June issue.
- 16 April 2010 – Alex appeared on the New York Morning news – Alex is photographed as he arrives and exits the Pix11 Morning News Studios in New York City, where he gave an interview.
- 19 April 2010 – Alex appeared on the Jimmy Kimmel show.
- 19 April 2010 – Alex poses at a portrait session with photographer Gary Friedman for the Los Angeles Times, 27 April issue at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, California.
- 20 April 2010 – Alex attended The Australians In Film screening of The Back-Up Plan at the Harmony Gold Theatre in Los Angeles, California. He also answers questions from the audience afterwards.
- 21 April 2010 – Alex, together with his fellow cast members attend the LA Premiere of The Back-Up Plan, appearing on the red carpet.
- 26 April 2010 – Alex is photographed at LAX leaving for London. His personal assistant Diana is as always just a few steps behind him.
- 28 April 2010 – Alex, Jennifer Lopez and director Alan Poul attend the UK premiere of The Back-up Plan at the Vue Cinema on London’s Leicester Square. They walk the ‘Pink carpet‘ and Alex is amazed at the magnitude of the event.
- 13 May 2010 – Alex attended Australians in Film’s 2010 Breakthrough Awards ceremony, held at the Thompson Hotel in Beverly Hills. The event honoured actress Bella Heathcote, who was awarded the Heath Ledger Scholarship, and Ryan Kwanten and Chris Hemsworth, each received a Breakthrough Award.
- 18 May 2010 – Alex joined in the celebration for the New York Upfronts hosted by Ariel Foxman, Editor of InStyle, and ICM at 34 Greene St in New York City.
- 19 May 2010 – At CBS Upfront it is confirmed that Hawaii Five-0 will be picked up for the fall season. Alex and his fellow cast members attend the function.
- 20 May 2010 – Alex and the other four main cast members of Hawaii Five-o appear on The Early show
- 20 May 2010 – Alex is spotted at LAX again.
- 22 May 2010 – Alex and Daniel Dae Kim represent Hawaii Five-0 at the LA Screenings, where international buyers gather each year to shop for new TV shows.
- 25 May 2010 – The very last entry from Alex on his MySpace blog! In is the schedule of the broadcast times of the last episodes of Three Rivers and Alex says he feels ‘accomplished’. (Copies of most of his MySpace entries can be found here)
- 11 June 2010 – Alex was honoured with the Donate Life Hollywood 2010 Person of the Year Award at the opening night VIP reception for Donate Life Hollywood’s 2010 Film Festival at The Paley Centre for Media in Beverly Hills, California.
- 3 July 2010 – Eventually, the last episode of Three Rivers was broadcast.
- 15 July 2010 – Alex and the rest of the cast start shooting the rest of Season 1 of Hawaii Five-0, attending the ‘Blessing Ceremony‘.
- 28 July 2010 – Alex, together with Scott Caan and Peter Lenkov, attend the CBS Press day and took part on a panel. They also posed for some pictures together. Interview
- 16 August 2010 – Alex and his fellow Hawaii Five-o cast members pose at a portrait session for TV Guide in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- 13 September 2010 – It was a very historic day for Hawaii Five-0, when the first ‘Sunset On the Beach‘ (SOTB) event was held. It was attended by lots of fans who wanted to see the Pilot episode of Hawaii Five-0 together with the cast, at Waikiki Beach. Alex attended it with girlfriend, fellow Australian actress and Three Rivers Co-star Amber Clayton.
- 16 September 2010 – Alex spend the day at LA the Grove, doing an interview with Laura Sanchez for Extra and meeting some fans.
- 16 September 2010 – That evening Alex and Amber attended the CBS Fall Season Premiere at the Colony.
- 20 September 2010 – Alex made his first short appearance on The Ellen Show to promote the first broadcast of Hawaii Five-0 that evening.
- 20 September 2010 – Hawaii Five-0 premieres on Television, exactly 42 yrs after the old Hawaii Five-O
- 13 October 2010 – The rights to air Hawaii Five-0 has been purchased across the globe and the production opens its doors to the international press. Alex and the rest of the main cast do some interviews and photo sessions.
- November 2010 – While filming Episode 1:13, Alex receives physical therapy for his shoulder injury.
- 18 December 2010 – Alex and Amber attend a ‘Holiday party’ for Hawaii Five-0 cast and crew at the Aloha tower.
- 3 January 2011 – Alex spotted at LAX again, saying goodbye to girlfriend Amber.
- 5 January 2011 – Alex was once again on the receiving side of a People’s Choice Award for Best New Drama, when Hawaii Five-0 walked away with the honors.
- 6 March 2011 – Alex and co-star Grace Park take part in a workshop for aspiring actors in Hawaii.
- 31 March 2011 – Hawaii State Legislature honours Hawaii Five-0 and CBS SVP at the Capitol in Honolulu, Executive Producer Peter Lenkov and cast members Alex O’Loughlin (Steve McGarrett) and Daniel Dae Kim (Chin Ho Kelly) attended.
- 2 April 2011 – Lots of candid pictures of Alex were taken in Hawaii while on hiatus. He was also photographed running without a shirt showing off the top half of a newly upgraded lower back tattoo. Up until now, no photographs of the full tattoo has been seen – for obvious reasons (He’ll have to drop his pants for that 😀 ).
- 14 April 2011 – Shooting of Season 1 of Hawaii Five-0 wrapped and Alex along with cast and crew attend the ‘Wrap Party‘
- 27 April 2011 – Alex was spotted at LAX again. Looking very relaxed.
- 5 May 2011 – Alex was photographed in Hawaii having breakfast and showing of very interesting socks and a Aloha T-shirt with a brand new shortly shaven haircut.
- 18 May 2011 – Alex attended CBS Upfront once again with fellow Hawaii Five-0 actors for the official announcement of the second season.
- 21 May 2011 – Alex hosted the opening reception of Kent Williams’ art exhibit ‘Convergence’ at Merry Karnowsky Gallery in LA. (Here is a fan account of the event)
- 22 June 2011 – Alex shows off his skills as model again, this time doing a shoot for Cosmopolitan October issue
During the hiatus Alex poses as action man for a photo shoot by Jim Wright and an interview for the cover story of Men’s Fitness Magazine August addition. Earlier in the year he also did a photo shoot and interview for the cover story of GQ Australia, Autumn/Winter issue
What a long way he has come, since he moved to Hawaii a year ago. He bought himself his first house. He got himself a little puppy called Dusty (an American Staffordshire). The show is a success world-wide. He is a man in demand and on top of the world!
- 11 July 2011 – As shooting on the second season of Hawaii Five-0 commence Alex and the cast attend the Blessing Ceremony.
- 9 September 2011 – Alex and the rest of the main cast members record interviews with the media.
- 10 September 2011 – It was Sunset On the Beach time again. This time twice as many screaming fans attended the event. Alex and the other Hawaii Five-0 cast members walked the red carpet again, signing autographs and doing lots of interviews before the screening of the first episode of Season 2. Among his guests for the evening was his long time friend and set stand in double, Sam Gould (HNN Interview on the carpet)
- September 2011 – In the week after SOTB, the scenes for the MMA fighting in Episode 2:06, are filmed. Alex takes a number of hits while doing it.
- September 2011 – Also during the filming of Episode 2:06, Insider visited the set and conducted some interviews with the cast. In his interview Alex mentions that he is not as tough as McGarrett and that he goes home at night and soaks himself in an ice bath to help recover his “battered” body. (Unfortunately that full interview is lost)
- 16 October 2011 – Alex and fellow actors attend an afternoon session with the public at the Hawaii International Film Festival, looking very relaxed and answering lots of questions.
- October 2011 – While filming the torture scene for Episode 2:10, Alex hangs from his arms for hours, aggravating his old shoulder injury.
- 7 November 2011 – Alex was photographed, doing shopping in Hawaii.
- 14 November 2011 – Alex and his fellow actors attended a Veterans Day event at the Teaching Garden of the Hickam School. The Hawaii Five-0 cast helped the children to plant vegetables for the American Heart Association Teaching Garden at Hickam Elementary. As noticed on the photographs later, Alex’s new girlfriend Malia Jones and her 2 yr old son, was also present at the event.
- November 2011 – During his trip to Sydney, Alex visited the McDonald College (a non-denominational co-educational academic and performing arts college), to assist with the short film contest.
- 22 November 2011 – Alex attended a black tie event held by GQ Australia Magazine to receive Actor of the Year Award. His award was handed to him by his mentor Jack Thompson. Also at the event was Rachael Taylor, who was awarded woman of the Year. She starred as only female lead in the movie Man-Thing together with Jack and Alex in 2003. At the event Alex also proclaimed his adoration for new girlfriend, Hawaiian girl Malia, who attended the event with him.
- December 2011 – News spread that Alex’s 14-year-old son was to join him in Hawaii on a permanent basis, attending school on the Island. It was also reported that he was taking a skiing holiday in Europe with Malia, her 2 yr old son and his own son Saxon. It was never confirmed officially until Alex himself mentioned it in an interview at the Hollywood Foreign Press Association Press conference in June 2012
- January 2012 – During the first two weeks of the year they filmed Hawaii Five-0 Episode 2:15. Although we have never heard any official confirmation about this incident on set, the visuals from the gag reel, shows a freak accident with the red garage door. Alex seemed to take a pretty hard knock from it and there are clear signs of injury afterwards. You can find our unconfirmed investigation into it here.
- 14 January 2012 – Alex attends the G’Day gala in LA and walked the red carpet together with his companion Malia Jones
- 2 March 2012 – It is announced that Alex entered rehab to help him recover from his misuse of prescription pain killers for the shoulder injury he got during Season 1 already. He aggravated the injury a number of times and it affected his ability to handle the pain and do his job effectively. It came as a shock but not as a surprise to most fans, who could see the signs of Alex wilting away for months now. Not known to the fans at the time, was that Alex’s partner Malia, was already a few weeks pregnant with their son Lion.
- 4 April 2012 – Six weeks after Alex left for rehab it was reported by director Larry Teng that the cast and crew gave a heartfelt applause when he returned to the set of Hawaii Five-o, to shoot the second last episode of Season 2.
- 22 April 2012 – Alex attend the ‘Wrap Party‘ for the Hawaii Five-0 cast and crew.
- 1 May 2012 – Alex was spotted doing some shopping shirtless, showing off his quirky ‘Mohawk’ hairstyle.
- 5 May 2012 – Alex and Malia attended a fundraiser for the Hoaloha Kai Montessori School at The Kahala Hotel & Resort. The sold-out event was the school’s first annual dinner auction and items available for bidding included a script of the Hawaii Five-0 pilot signed by the cast and a signed photo of Scott Caan.” (Original picture by Nicole Seu)
- 14 May 2012 – Alex and his dog Dusty were once again photographed at Cocojor spa. Alex got Dusty as a puppy (see insert on picture) during the previous years hiatus and obviously likes to spoil her a lot. She also accompanies him to work most days. (Dusty’s birthday is 16 April)
- 6 June 2012 – Alex and Scott Caan attend the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) Press conference in LA. It was the first interviews for Alex after he spent time in rehab. Alex says that he realised he should let the stunt team with Justin as his double, do their job and he plans to take it easier to protect himself from injury.
- June 2012 – During his stay in LA, Alex together with Malia and Saxon were also seen at the play that Scott wrote and starred in. It is called ‘No way around but through‘ and ran at the Falcon Theatre.
- June 2012 – Alex received his blue belt in Brazilian Jiujitsu from Egan Inoue. At the time he had been training with Egan for a year.
This is the end of part 2 of our ‘biography’ – part 3 to follow here.
This page is dedicated to my dearest online friends (my blog partner Paula and online LaHagela), who not only inspire me to find answers, but also most of the time found them for me. The last year and a half has truly been a fun ride.
I’m a working class kid.
My appreciation for what I have in my life is great.
This is our ‘biography‘ of the actor Alex O’Loughlin – It is a chronological account of his life (mostly his career), gathered from the information of events he attended, interviews, articles, candid pictures, posts by his friends and colleagues, and his own old, and now deleted MySpace blog.
Where no specific dates are known, we just give the approximate year or month.
We hope that this will be a complete reference guide for his many fans and we intend to update this page on a regular basis when old information is better explained and as the story of his life unfolds …….
(Remember that the underlined words in blue are links to the original source material.)
If you have queries about any of the information on here, or have more accurate sources on events covered her, contact us with it please.
- 24 August 1976 – Alex was born in the morning on this day in Canberra, Australia. His mother was a community nurse and his father a teacher. For the most part of his youth, he grew up in Canberra (Capitol City of Australia)
During these years:
- Alex’s sister Jacki, who is 1 year & 8 months younger than him, was born in 1978.
- Alex’s parents got divorced and his father later move to Sydney to teach at a private boy’s school.
- In the interview with MediaBlvd in 2008, Alex said that his grandmother remembers him already saying at the age of 2 or 3, that he wanted to be an actor.
- In various interviews, including the one for LA Times in 2010, Alex said that at the age of about 9 or 10, while doing a school play, Alex felt the audience react to his part. He said that at the time he thought that this is what he wanted to do. An idea that did not seem possible to him as a working-class kid and it got lost for most of his years as a teen.
- From the age of 10, Alex started to travel to Sydney more often, to visit his father, who had moved there after the divorce. He said that he felt more at home in Sydney where he could disappear.
- Alex was in his late teens (around 19) when he was goofing around while watching a sports event and a friend called him aside and told him he was wasting his talent and ability to entertain people. This inspired him to pursue a career in acting. (source: MediaBlv)
- At the age of 19, Alex read the book ‘A Fortunate Life’ by author A.B. Facey and described it as a life-changing experience. (source: Application for NIDA) He traveled the world and even took a turn in Hollywood in those early days (1997), but did not stay long as he did not have a support system over there yet. (source: Pauly Shore Podcast)
- By doing odd jobs, Alex supported himself, while taking night classes and doing some plays to pursue his acting.
- 1 July 1997 – Less than two months before his own 21st birthday, Alex became a father, when his son Saxon was born. Alex and Saxon’s mother were never married, but he was there for the birth and remained very supportive and close to his son. Saxon lived with his mother in Australia for most of his life, until December 2011 when he moved to Hawaii to live with Alex. He stayed there until June 2014, when he moved back to Australia. Over the years Saxon regularly visited the sets, where Alex worked.
- Late 1999 – Alex works as part of the background crew on the set of the movie ‘Mission Impossible II’, while it was being filmed in Sydney. (source: Actor’s Workshop)
2000 – 2002:
- With encouragement from Saxon’s mother, Alex at the age of 23, enrolled in a 3-year acting course at NIDA (National Institute of Dramatic Art) in Sydney, Australia for the school years 2000, 2001, and 2002. By the end of 2002, he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree, joining an illustrious group of Alumni of this prestigious institute. During this time he worked two jobs over weekends to support himself. Read about it here: Our Review of Never Before Posted Old Footage Of #AlexOLoughlin at NIDA
- In July 2002, Alex was the lead actor in the play at the inaugural public event to open the Parade Theatre at the National Institute of Dramatic Art (NIDA), in the sprawling Australian epic Country Music, written by Nick Enright in collaboration with NIDA’s third-year students.
- After graduation, Alex started his acting career with some guest roles in Australian Television projects. He featured in an episode of White Collar Blue as Ian Mack (broadcast 5 May 2003) and in an episode of the short-lived FOX8 series Love Bytes (broadcast 3 February 2004) as Dave.
- September 2004 – Alex attended the Toronto Film Festival to promote Oyster Farmer. He went to the event reluctantly, not knowing if he would be welcome, but in the end, enjoyed rubbing shoulders with a lot of people in the industry.
- Another Australian TV appearance for Alex was in one of a TV Movie series episodes called BlackJack: Sweet Science as Luke Anderson (broadcast 7 November 2004)
- October – December 2004: During the 12 weeks of filming, Alex took up the role of Will Bryant, one of the leads in the Australian Television mini-series drama The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant. Alex was nominated for it as Best Actor in a lead role by the Australian Film Industry in 2005 and also got a Logie Award nomination for it in 2006.
- July 2005 – The movie Feed with Alex in the lead role of Michael Carter, was first screened at the Fantasy Film Festival in Nuremberg Germany.
- August 2005 – Alex models for Nicole Cleary in a photoshoot at Melbourne’s Docklands
- 8 August 2005 – Alex confirmed that he took part in the auditions in the UK, to be the next James Bond, being invited by the director, but he said that he was probably too young for the role at the time.
- October 2005 – Feed was also showcased at the “Paris’s L’etrange Film Festival”.
- By the end of this year, Alex found himself in Vancouver (Canada) on the set of his first Hollywood movie The Invisible
- January to April 2006 – Alex spends the first few months of this year in New York to film the movie, August Rush. Although he auditioned for the lead role, he got the part of the lead’s brother, played by Jonathan Rhys Meyers. The role was expanded by the director (Kirsten Sheridan) to accommodate Alex and he sported an Irish accent (for 4 months while filming) and played his own guitar in it.
- 31 March 2006 – Alex attends the first screening of the movie Feed in the USA, at the Philadelphia International Film Festival. Alex and producer Melissa Beauford answer questions from the audience after the screening.
- 20 June 2006 – Alex was interviewed on the set of The Shield. They were shooting the first of 7 episodes of Season 6 in which he guest-starred as Kevin Hiatt. This was his first major break in American Television. Alex later said that he learned a lot from lead actor Michael Chiklis on how to be number one on the call sheet.
- June 2006 – Alex and Holly Valance are seen together in West Hollywood. It soon became clear that the two are a couple and had moved in together. (Their relationship lasted for nearly 3 years)
- December 2006 – The first major Hollywood movie that Alex took part in was released. In The Holiday he was part of a kissing couple in the first few seconds of the movie. His co-partner in the kissing scene later made the comment that it took a whole day of shooting the kissing to get it right, but that it was all good fun. (Such I small non-speaking part is rarely listed, but I guess all the kissing made it memorable).
- December 2006 – Alex and Holly were seen together in Australia, as they went back home for the holiday season.
- Early 2007 – Alex films a TV series pilot called Twilight about a Vampire PI. (Here we compare Moonlight with the original Pilot)
- 19 March 2007 – Alex finds himself in icy cold Manitoba Canada shooting the film Whiteout, with Kate Beckinsale and Gabriel Macht. Alex plays an Australian pilot, working in Antarctica. One of the first scenes to be filmed was of him and a few other men running naked across the ice in the freezing cold. Although the scene is hardly worth mentioning, it is a subject that he had a lot to say about during interviews for the movie.
- 24 April 2007 – The episodes Alex filmed for The Shield in 2006, air on Television.
- 27 April 2007– The movie The Invisible, with Alex in the role of car thief Marcus Bohem, premiered.
- 16 May 2007 – Alex attends his first CBS Upfront event in New York City. This occasion formally announced that CBS picked up the series Moonlight (previously known as Twilight, but which had to be renamed because of another project with the same name). Alex was photographed at the Tavern on the Green, attending the party following the presentation.
- 28 May 2007 – Alex and Holly Vallance spend some time in Melbourne Australia
- 26 – 29 July 2007 – Alex and Sophia Myles attend Comic-Con in San Diego.
- 18 July 2007 – Alex took part in CBS Television Critics Association (TCA) all-star interviews for Moonlight.
- 19 July 2007 – Alex and girlfriend Holly Vallance attended the CBS TCA all-star party held at the Wadsworth Theatre in Los Angeles.
- 30 August 2007 – They start filming Moonlight – Alex’s first role as the lead actor in a television show. He is the only actor from the original cast, that survived the cuts that were made after the pilot got picked up. The show also took on a whole new look, and the location was moved from New York to LA. The pilot episode had to be redone completely. (Here you can find the links to posts we have done for Moonlight)
- 17 September 2007 – Alex does an interview on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. (Transcript)
- 25 September 2007 – While shooting Moonlight Episode 6, a number of journalists were allowed on the set. They interviewed Alex and the cast.
- 28 September 2007 – Moonlight with Alex in the lead role of Mick St John, airs on CBS. The series got mixed reviews but soon build a devoted fanbase that still last to date.
- From 5 November 2007 to 12 February 2008, all 12,000 film and television screenwriters of the American labor unions Writers Guild of America, East (WGAE), and Writers Guild of America West (WGAW) went on strike. This affected Moonlight, as production halted after 12 episodes, and the survival of the show became uncertain.
- 2 December 2007 – Alex attended the Charity Racing Event ‘Toys for Tots’ at the Pole Position Raceway.
- 12 December 2007 – Alex and girlfriend Holly Valance are once again seen in Australia when they visit Sydney and Melbourne for the holidays. They also attend Holly’s sister’s 21st birthday party on the 15th. His fellow star Jason Dohring also mentioned that he and his wife will visit them in Australia, but we never saw any detail of it.
- 28 December 2007 – The movie August Rush with Alex in the role of Marshall Connelly, premiered. (Link to one of the August Rush articles)
- 8 January 2008 – Moonlight wins the People’s Choice Award as Favorite New TV Drama, having received more than 10 million votes. Alex thanked the fans from Sydney, where he was still on holiday.
- 20 February 2008 – Alex and Holly attended the W Magazine’s Hollywood Affair Pre-Oscar Party held at the Terrace Room in the Sunset Tower Hotel in West Hollywood.
- 20 April 2008 – Alex and his co-star in Moonlight, Jason Dohring, attend Comic-Con in New York at the Jacob Javits Centre. They were asked a lot of interesting questions by fans.
- 21 April 2008 – Alex took part in an interview on the Early Show.
- 22 April 2008 – Alex and Holly, together with the full cast of Moonlight attended a press conference at the Paley in Beverly Hills. Holly reportedly joked and commented that it sucks to date a vampire. It was maybe misunderstood by some but apparently, she made her comment in good spirit.
- 26 April 2008 – This is marked as the last day of shooting on the set of Moonlight. Apparently, the last scene to be shot was that of the team hijacking the ambulance.
- 26 April 2008 – Alex and Holly attend the premiere of Speed Racer (co-produced by Joel Silver) at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles.
- 27 April 2008 – Alex and Sophia Myles attended Fangoria. (You can read a fan story about the event here )
- 1 May 2008 – Alex features on TV Guide Sexiest Stars list, getting a double spread page. Alex and Holly attended the party and he commented that he never thought he was “that” hairy until he saw the picture in the magazine.
- 14 May 2008 – Alex posted a heartbreaking account of his thoughts on the cancellation of Moonlight on his MySpace blog. To me, it showed a little bit more of the soul of the man behind the actor and public figure.
- 16 May 2008 – the last episode of Moonlight is broadcast and it is announced that the series was canceled. Alex was devastated and he and Holly went down to Mexico for a few days to rest after he received the news.
- 14 August 2008 – Alex signs a one-year holding contract with CBS, in order for him to work on developing something new to star in.
- 15 – 17 August 2008 – Alex attended Pebble Beach and he looked like he was having a good time. The Rolex Monterey Historic Automobile Races are a popular event in a series of automobile events held every August.
- 13 October 2008 – Alex posted on his MySpace Blog that his time with the Red Cross came to an end and he thanked the fans who got involved with the blood drive in an attempt to save Moonlight.
- 6 February 2009 – Alex posts on his MySpace Blog that he is back in the USA after spending a few months in Australia. He announces his break-up with Holly. They were a couple for more or less 2 years and 8 months (June 2006 – February 2009).
- 25 February 2009 – Alex finds himself as a guest on the set of Criminal Minds, shooting an episode in which he played a serial killer. This came after a dry spell of 10 months of no involvement in acting of any sort. He called it a great way to blow away the cobwebs. (Pictures from the set)
- 12 March 2009 – News leaked that Alex has been cast as lead actor and a Doctor, on a series called Three Rivers that was set around a transplant hospital in Pittsburgh.
- 27 March 2009 – Alex posts another MySpace Blog entry, this time confirming his role in the upcoming episode of Criminal Minds and also him confirming his present shooting of the pilot for a new CBS medical drama, Three Rivers in Pittsburgh.
- 29 April 2009 – The episode of Criminal Minds called The Big Wheel with Alex as guest star Vincent Rowlings airs on CBS. (Link to an interview)
- April 2009 – Alex starts filming the movie The Back-Up Plan. It is the first lead role for him in an American movie and he plays the romantic lead opposite Jennifer Lopez on her return to the movies, after giving birth to her twins.
- 2 May 2009 – Alex made another My Space entry, confirming him working on The Back-Up Plan and therefore apologizing for not being able to go to the UK in June for the Starfury convention.
- 9 May 2009 – Alex and Jennifer Lopez attended the Noche de Niños Gala at the Beverly Hilton, an annual celebration and concert benefiting the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles.
- 17 May 2009 – Alex joins his old friends (colleagues) from The Shield when he attends The Bash with them. It is a charity in support of the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles Play Therapy Fund. The charity event, organized by LA-based teens for teens, took place at the legendary Beverly Hills restaurant Crustacean. Among the guests were also Alex’s former colleagues from The Shield: Walton Goggins (pictured with Alex) and Michael Chiklis, who was there to support his daughter Amber, a board member of the charity.
- 20 May 2009 – Alex is photographed leaving the London NYC Hotel in mid-town Manhattan. He was in New York City for the CBS Upfront presentation at Carnegie Hall
- 20 May 2009 – Alex attends CBS Upfront in New York where it is confirmed that the medical drama Three Rivers was picked up.
- 13 June 2009 – Three Rivers received an award from Donate Life even before the broadcast of the first episode. Donate Life Hollywood honored CBS-TV’s new fall show Three Rivers with its first annual Inspire Award. Bestowed by the organ and tissue donation and transplant community, it was presented at an awards dinner hosted at the Directors Guild of America as the culmination of the daylong Donate Life Film Festival.
- 17 June 2009 – Alex attend the screening of The Tender Hook at the Harmony Gold Theatre and was photographed together with fellow Australian actor Matt LeNevez, who starred with him in Man-Thing and Feed.
- 27 July 2009 – Alex attends Jennifer Lopez’s 40th birthday bash. The event called ‘An Evening with Lola’, was a surprise birthday party for Jennifer, organized for her by her husband Marc Anthony.
- 30 July 2009 – In another MySpace Blog entry, Alex talks about the wrap-up of shooting on The Back-Up Plan and not really getting any time off before starting to film, Three Rivers.
- 31 July 2009 – Alex takes part in the Television Critics Association (TCA) Panel for Three Rivers.
- 3 August 2009 – Alex attends CBS’s Television Critics Association (TCA) Summer Tour All-Star party at the Huntington Library in Pasadena. He tells about himself working in a lot of restaurants (waiter, barman & kitchen) flipping burgers, frying chicken & working in construction. Building a house together with someone and even doing a bit of landscaping.
- 26 August 2009 – In a short entry on his MySpace blog Alex thanks the fans for all the birthday wishes.
- 6 September 2009 – Alex makes another MySpace entry to keep fans up to date with his latest activities.
- 7 September 2009 – Alex takes part in the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.
- 9 September 2009 – After two years of post-production, the movie Whiteout premieres. Alex attended the red carpet event together with the lead actors in the movie.
- 15 September 2009 – Alex attended the LA Dodgers vs. Pittsburgh Pirates Game at Dodger Stadium in LA and pitched the ceremonial first ball, later describing the incident very lively on the Bonnie Hunt show.
- 16 September 2009 – Alex attended the CBS Premiere party at MyHouse in LA.
- 18 September 2009 – Alex once again found himself playing model in a photoshoot for Entertainment Weekly’s Fall Preview.
- 19 September 2009 – The Annual Emmy Gift Lounge, held to honour the 2009 Emmy Award Nominees and Presenters. GBK’s A Luxury Bazaar for the Senses took place at a private estate in Beverly Hills. Alex also visited Donate Life’s gifting suite.
- 29 September 2009 – Alex appeared on the Bonnie Hunt show and later voiced his regret for forgetting to wear his Donate Life Pin.
- 30 September 2009 – Alex attended the Outfest Legacy Awards at the Directors Guild of America to support honouree Alan Poul, director of The Back-up Plan. The Legacy Awards is an annual benefit for the Outfest Legacy Project for LGBT Film Preservation, a collaboration between Outfest and the UCLA Film & Television Archive. It is a unique program dedicated to saving and preserving lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender moving images.
- 1 October 2009 – Alex participated in a TV.com live chat, looking a bit awkward in front of the computer answering some interesting questions. In a MySpace entry, Alex reminds the fans to take part.
- 2 October 2009 – Alex appeared on the show The Dr’s promoting his upcoming show Three Rivers.
- 4 October 2009 – Three Rivers with Alex as Dr. Andy Yablonski, airs on CBS, and just as with Moonlight a lot of the leading roles from the original pilot, were recast.
- 13 October 2009 – Alex in a TV Guide Hollywood 411 interview, tells the story of living on his friend Sam Gould’s couch for 9 months and at one stage throwing out his back and having to sleep on the floor.
- 17 October 2009 – Alex posted on My Space Blog, making a plea to his Moonlight fans to also tune in to watch Three Rivers.
- 24 October 2009 – Alex appeared on Entertainment Tonight.
- 10 November 2009 – Alex attends TV Guide Magazine’s 2009 Hot List Party at the SLS Hotel in Los Angeles.
- 11 November 2009 – Alex attended the event ‘IWC Schaffhausen Celebrates the work of Michael Muller and a shared collaboration with the Charles Darwin Foundation’ at Milk Studios in LA. Swiss watchmaker. IWC Schaffhausen celebrated their partnership and commitment to the Charles Darwin Foundation through an exclusive exhibition of renowned photographer, Michael Muller’s pictures from his Galapagos project.
- 1 December 2009 – Alex posted a MySpace Blog telling the fans that the plug was pulled on Three Rivers. Yet another show that Alex poured his heart and soul into, got canceled.
- 3 December 2009 – Alex attended an evening described as ‘Alex Band’s Donate Life Rocks Presents an Intimate Evening with Alex Band at Cafe Was on N. Vine Street in Hollywood’. The event marked the release of singer/songwriter, Alex Band’s Live in Brazil DVD and the launch of his bracelet/music line Black Star Bracelets. All proceeds from the event were to benefit Donate Life.
- 5 December 2009 – Production on Three Rivers ends
- 18 December 2009 – Alex dedicated a Family Circle Rose to ride on the 2010 Donate Life Rose Parade Float in honour of Fernando, whose family consented to eye donation because they were fans of the CBS show Three Rivers and wanted Fernando to help people like on the show. Alex in his personal dedication writes:
Fernando’s legacy lives on through his family, friends and those whose sight he restored through cornea donation. I will always be inspired by Fernando’s generosity.
This is the end of Part 1 of our ‘Diary’. Part 2 can be found here.
We would like to dedicate this page to the site owners,
Mary (from the closed down site Alex O’Loughlin.Org),
Mizzoh (from the closed down site AOLR)
and Tiffany (Alex O’Loughlin Online).
All the dates of events and articles they collected over the years on their sites, helped to compile most of this information.