We kind of want to apologise for all these anti-scammer posts which we are doing at the moment. Up until a month ago we largely wanted to keep our Alex haven here out of it all. But once we saw what is really going on, we just could not stand back and keep a distance anymore.
Nearly 4 weeks into actively hunting fake pages and reporting fake accounts, scammer pages, and posting warnings in groups on Facebook. This is not what we signed up for as fansite admins, 10 years ago – but it has become part of our daily fan life.
There is utter confusion out there. Fans do not understand the concept of a REAL ALEX PAGE, a REAL FAN PAGE, a FAKE PAGE, or a FAKE FAN PAGE.
We know the readers of this page might not be the ones who are confused, but we thought to explain it in any case. Hopefully, somewhere somebody can use it to understand better and become involved. (But I guess some would just be more confused)
- A REAL ALEX O’LOUGHLIN PAGE – there is only one real page on social media – Alex’s official Facebook page created in 2010 – mainly run by his assistants and publicist to raise awareness for the charities he was involved with at the time. It has not been updated for years. But the one thing that I am grateful for about that page – it makes reporting Alex imposter pages somewhat easier on Facebook than on Instagram where there is no official page.
- A REAL ALEX O’LOUGHLIN FAN PAGE – that is pages like ours, created by real fans, sharing pictures and news about Alex. Most of these pages are already a few years old. But how do you recognise these fan pages? They NEVER try to act like they are Alex or offer you any direct contact with Alex. Most have a clear description in the bio of the page.
- A FAKE ALEX O’LOUGHLIN PAGE – they use Alex’s name and promise you that they are real. They make comments as if they are Alex. And they will quickly try to get you into a private talk with them. And that is where they can play mind tricks on you with all sorts of fake information, like fake, IDs, Fake driver’s licenses, fake, divorce papers, etc. Or fake fan club fees.
- A FAKE ALEX O’LOUGHLIN FAN PAGE – that is a page that acts like they are fans, but they will pretty soon also try to get you into direct contact with them and offers some sort of scam of a membership card, or a private chat with Alex, etc.
- A FAKE ALEX O’LOUGHLIN FACEBOOK GROUP – A fan group, started by scammers to post their scams.
- A REAL ALEX O’LOUGHLIN FACEBOOK GROUP – They allow posts of Alex only. NO spam posts and no scam posters are allowed.
BUT with this last group, we have the biggest problem now!! Some fans started fan groups a long time ago, but now they have left it unmanaged. They are overrun by scammers and nobody is protecting the fans on there against these posts.
And with it, scammers and the uninformed stubborn fans who couldn’t be bothered about real or not, are slowly killing the Alex O’Loughlin fandom on Facebook and Instagram.
Nearly all real fan facebook groups have gone private to protect themselves against scammers. And apparently, even in some of them, scammers’ posts are allowed. The few groups that are still public belong to either scammers, or to fans who left the fandom without closing down their groups. Unfortunately, because those groups are not managed, scammers enjoy the party!! Posting warnings on the groups and reporting them is not effectively working – yet.
It is actually heartbreaking to see what is happening in those groups.
- Scammers post pretty pictures of Alex and “fans” cheer them on to scam uninformed naive people.
- Scammers post the weirdest sh!t and fans just don’t care! They happily respond with comments.
- Scammers create new fake “fan” pages that post pretty pictures on the groups to lure the innocent to scams, but so-called “fans” couldn’t care less, and they cheer them on with a standard comment of “pretty pictures” and “awesome”!
At this moment in time, it feels as if there are more active scammers in the Alex O’Loughlin fandom than real fans …….