- Alex O’Loughlin was born on 24 August 1976
- He first became a father when his son Saxon was born in July 1997 – Alex age 20
(Difficult to date this picture. It was part of the NIDA yearbook published in 2003, but not sure if it was Alex at the beginning of NIDA or at the end as final year student – so a guess would be, somewhere between ages 23 and 26)
- Alex started his acting career formally when enrolling into NIDA at the beginning of 2000 at the age of 23
(Alex photographed for a magazine while working as a barman to finance his studies in 2002 (25yrs))
- Graduated from NIDA at the end of 2002 at age 26
- Landed his first lead role in Oyster Farmer filmed in Sept to Nov 2003 at age 27
(Alex as Jack Flange – Screencap from Oyster Farmer filmed in 2003 (27yrs))
(Alex at the Toronto International Film Festival in Sept 2004 (28yrs))
- First lead role in the TV drama Mary Bryant filmed Oct to Dec 2004 at age 28
(Promotional picture for Mary Bryant – filmed at end of 2004 (28yrs))
- Moved to Hollywood in beginning of 2005 and auditioned for role of James Bond at age 28
(Picture by Nicole Cleary – Melbourne August 2005, just before Alex turned 29 later that month)
- First major supporting role in the Hollywood movie The Invisible, filmed in late 2005 at age 29
(Alex as Marcus Bohem in the movie The Invisible – Filmed in late 2005 (29yrs))
- First guest lead role on USA TV in the Shield filmed in June 2006 at age 29
- Started dating Holly Valance in June 2006 at age 29
(Alex as Kevin Hiatt in USA TV series The Shield filmed in mid 2006 (29yrs))
- Filmed first Moonlight pilot (called Twilight) in beginning of 2007 at age 30
- Started filming Moonlight in August 2007, and last day of shooting in April 2008 all at age 31
(Alex as Mick St John in Moonlight – this episode was filmed in 2007 (31yrs))
- Announced end of relationship with Holly and filmed guest role in Criminal Minds in Feb 2009 at age 32
(Alex on the set of Criminal Minds – February 2009 (32yrs))
- Filmed first and only major lead role in a Hollywood movie, The Back-Up Plan, during 2009 at age 32
(Alex as Stan in The Back-Up Plan filmed in mid 2009 (32yrs))
- Filmed Three Rivers in latter part of 2009 and celebrated his 33rd birthday on set
(Alex as Dr Andy Yablonski filmed in last months of 2009 (33yrs))
- Landed the lead role in Hawaii Five-0 in February 2010 at the age of 33
- Became father for the second time in Oct 2012 when Lion was born – Alex age 36
(Alex at Hawaii Five-0 SOTB #3 in September 2012 (36yrs))
- Got married to Malia in April 2014 at age 37
- Was Steve McGarrett for 10 Seasons of Hawaii Five-0 and ended the run in May 2020 at age 43
(Screencap of Alex doing his Hawaii Five-0 exit interview in Feb 2020 (43yrs))
- At the moment, Alex is taking a break and spending quality time with his wife Malia and their kids, all while riding out the Covid 19 pandemic wave with the rest of the world – he is now 45 years old….
(Original picture by Ross Hallfin – Alex in April 2021 at his home (44yrs))
Wow, I did not think it would be so difficult to decide on which pictures to use here, but there are of course thousands to choose from.
One of my aims for doing this small study, has been to illustrate how different situations, personal happiness at the time, hairstyle and length, beard length, bodyweight, lighting, etc. can make Alex (and all of us) look one way now and in the next year or situation, younger again. (Look how young Alex looked in 2009 on the set of Criminal Minds after his long rest period) Even some screencaps in movies and TV footage make him look younger one minute and older the next.
We posted this picture on our social media pages during this past week and of course many responded to say that he can’t be 30 years old here, because he looks in his early 20’s.
In the old days we used to label this picture as Jan 2007 because that is the date of the magazine issue, but never knew how old the picture was, until I realised the article gives the date of the picture.
So this is why am I sticking to my story about the date here!
- The InStyle article actually gives the exact day and place of the picture – Mulholland drive, 6 October 2006
- And although Alex made a trip, or maybe even more than one, to Hollywood in his early 20’s before studying at NIDA (age 23 – 26), he did not really arrive in LA until the latter part of his 20’s – he was in fact already 28 when he moved to the USA in 2005 and started his life there.
(Picture dated as 1 August 2006 by AOLR
– it would then be of Alex a few weeks before he turned 30)
All this, is one of the reasons why I believe it is important to go back to source material before making captions about dates and ages of pictures by doing guesswork. Chances are you will get it wrong …. we have done it many times over the years and try to avoid it. Rather not write anything than getting it wrong.
And remember articles use old footage – and in our case sometimes even newer pictures, than the original article. You cannot actually use the date of an article to date a picture. And if they did not spesifically give the date in the InStyle article, one could have never been sure when it was taken.
So don’t even try unless of course you know the date of a specific photoshoot, event, or date of filming. Or if the picture itself gives you the detail. (see below)
(On this picture Alex is then age 30 – a few days before the InStyle picture was taken. My guess is that he carried a little bit more meat back then, which caused him to look so young during those days at the end of 2006)
And yes, we cut Holly from the picture, because sometime a full picture is not relevant for what it is being used for ….. hopefully she will not be too mad at us for doing so. 😉 😉
Hope you enjoyed our little study!
It is all part of the fun of fangirling.
And as always any study is just an excuse to look at pictures of Alex and enjoy him all over again……