Not all of us can recall exactly where we were today 10 years ago, but it is kind of easy for Alex this time. Of course he was on the set of The Back-Up Plan with Jennifer Lopez, celebrating her 4oth birthday with the cast and crew. They filmed the movie during the months of April to July 2009 and spesifically shots some scenes the day before her birthday untill midnight, when they all congratulated and celebrated with her.
Today on 24 July, Jennifer turns 50 and we thought it might be good to recap with some pretty pictures and links to our old posts, some of the quotes and news and stories of Alex, from his time on the film with Jennifer, a decade ago ……
“Some actors are good on TV and get lost in a movie. Alex can do both. And especially on the big screen, you want somebody who can hold your attention, and Alex proved he is one of those people who can do just that.”
– Jennifer Lopez
- Link to a video with the transcript of an interview with Alex on set in 2009.
- A link to one of the interviews with Alex during their promotion of The Back-Up Plan:
“Alex is a movie star. Working with him has been amazing, given that he’s never done flat-out comedy before. He’s a classically trained actor from the Australian stage, so it was a learning process for him to find the comedy rhythms without sacrificing any emotional integrity. He’s an incredible talent. Alex and Jennifer also have such fantastic chemistry. They dig each other both as characters and as people.”
– Alan Poul (Director of The Back-Up Plan)
- Alex about working with Jennifer:
And we both realized that we were to the other, someone who we could work with. I knew I could work with her closely because I kind of ‘got her’. She was funny! That’s a big thing. If she was someone who really took herself seriously and didn’t know how to laugh, I think I would have been like, ‘Weeeellll, I don’t know, it’s going to be a challenge to get to those important scenes,’ you know?”
– Alex O’Loughlin.
on Beyond Beautiful JLO, (April 2010)
- Alex talking about the time on set:
“It’s the best, really. A film set is like an adult’s playground and we spend so much time on them … I work and live on them. To be on a film set where there’s a family vibe, and a family feel is kind of unusual and very refreshing. It was great to have [Jennifer’s] kids there so much and Marc there when he could be there, when he wasn’t working. [Also] to have my son there, and my best friend would [visit], and her best friend was there, and her family. It was just awesome. It was the best time.”
– Alex O’Loughlin (April 2010)
- Link to an article by Jenny Cooney at the time of the release of the film:
- Link to another article where Alex not only give thoughts about The Back Up Plan, but also about his TV shows, Moonlight, Three Rivers and Hawaii Five-0.
- Link to one of the fun video and articles we posted about the filming of a spesific scene on The Back-Up Plan:
- In May 2009, Alex also supported Jennifer by attending the Noche de Niños Gala at the Beverly Hilton. It is an annual celebration and concert benefiting the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles.
- Alex was one of the guests at Jennifer Lopez’s 40th birthday bash on 27 July 2009. ‘An Evening with Lola’ was a surprise birthday party for Jennifer, organized for her by her then husband Marc Anthony.
- Video taken at midnight on the set of The Back-Up Plan:
Jennifer: “Alex, make a toast!”
Alex: “Okay, here we go.”
Jennifer: “Alex is going to make a toast.”
Alex: “Here we go. To Jennifer, Happy Birthday. Welcome back, baby! [Cheers all around] …… To Jennifer!”
- This photo was taken while the little video was filmed:
There are so many photos and articles and interviews from that time that we have shared over the years, and this post is just a small fraction of it all.
Hope you enjoyed the trip down memory lane!
Happy Birthday Jennifer!!
It would be interesting to see where we will all be 10 years from now ……….