Just a normal run of the mill entertaining Hawaii Five-0 episode. I enjoyed it and felt well entertained. It is always good to just sit back and relax and enjoy some mindless fun while watching Alex do his thing as Steve McGarrett …..
All the ingredients once again there for a good episode ……. But beware if you let one brain cell work too much. You might just experience some real WTF moments.
It still makes me wonder about the missing links of continuity and logic in the show. And I am not talking storylines in the whole series here. I mean continuity and logic in this one episode …… Is it the writing, the director, the actors ad-libbing too much, the stunt crew doing weird stuff or the editing messing it up at the end? Or is this just the “way” of the show. Just the laid back ‘Island style‘ of doing things without too much thought or logic?
Here are my random questions ……
I am not even going to mention that the opening scene of the kidnapper with the girlfriend being kidnapped actually only happened later in the episode, and that it was shown out of sequence without any explanation. Or ask why she could not remove the hood with her hands tied so close to her face. Or why she could not make noises by kicking in order for people to hear her. She showed so much fight when they grabbed her – why did she become so meek and mild? Not even going to wonder why the guy was now alone with her when he needed to shop, while his mate was doing …. what?
Or that it is completely silly to believe that a sharpshooter can dare to make a shot from a shaking unstable helicopter with a victim so close to the perp. Or that Steve will just duck a bit when bullets start flying around him and Kono (remember the last time he was flying and being shot at he nearly died ) ….. oops, I guess I did say all that out loud. But let’s move on to the ‘really serious’ questions.
- At what time do schools close for the day in Hawaii? Why am I asking it? Because most of the activities in this whole episode happen after Charlie was picked up from school … Activities which include Steve switching clothes a few times between the tan shirt and the blue T for under the tac gear. And as usual with we the viewers not having the joy of witnessing it all …..
Koala Smartass: Oh dear – this again. How long have you been watching the show? The amount of stuff they pack into a day (or even half a day) is astounding. Time moves at a slow pace of “Island style” there. And why would we want to see something as mundane as STEVE changing clothes? #sarcasm
- And why and at what age do kids go to school in America where they wear formal uniforms. Charlie was born in the beginning of 2012. He is now only 5. Isn’t it a bit harsh to have him already attend such a formal school?
Koala Smartass: Seems that where you live you allow kids to be kids for far too long?
- Not often that we get an episode without a dead body to begin with.
Koala Smartass: I gather that is just an observation and not one of your silly complaints?
- Once again as with Sang Min the other day – what did they talk about with Harry while waiting for Noelani to get there to patch him up? I like how they use her character with these ‘house calls‘. Love her being included in the cast (Not only is she a strong intelligent female character, but she is also Hawaiian and a beautiful ‘normal’ woman at that.) But the way they do it by waiting till she has done the job before they start discussing the case, just does not make sense to me?
Koala Smartass: Time stands still while the cameras are not rolling? Or maybe she was in the building with her medical case when they called her in?
- Harry about his client: “Older man, younger broad”? I must be honest the wife looked older than the husband to me. But in fact in real life the actress is 1 year younger than the actor. (older man, younger broad – yeh right)
Koala Smartass: Old school PI talk. It would have sounded so “boring” if he just said that the man had suspicion that the wife was a cheating old hag – oops.
- Why is Steve only introducing Kono after she already tapping the guys phones? Kind of rude to have her play with his stuff even before meeting him?
- Harry using the same nicknames (‘muscles’ and ‘hairdo’) for Danny as Tony Archer in season 2? Really all the writers can come up with …….?
Koala Smartass: My guess is that it is actual nicknames that James Caan have for his son in real life, so his old time friends just keep on using it. Not the writer’s fault then?
- So the wife was having lunch with a another woman and they have a heated argument. Yet no follow-up from Harry about that? It could have just as well been a lover’s quarrel. Maybe the wife was cheating on the husband with another woman? What happened to following all leads? Never crossed Harry’s mind to ask?
Koala Smartass: Have you been reading too much slash fiction again? Suspecting everybody of switching ‘sides’ easily & randomly?
- Why is Steve asking Danny why he is pouting? I watched the scene a few times, but did not see any pouting. The camera is actually on Danny the whole time … no pouting.
Koala Smartass: Use your imagination. Or maybe Steve was just using figure of speech.
- Harry: “I gave my name to 3 different women”. A man talking like that, no wonder none of his marriages lasted. If marriage is all just about giving his ‘name’ to the broad …..
Koala Smartass: Harry is ‘old school‘. Of course it is okay for him to think and talk that why.
- I do not understand that Danny being sad/worried about Rachel’s divorce means to Harry that they might get back together again? Why be sad or worried if you could be reconciled?
Koala Smartass: Don’t confuse everybody with your logic.
- Therapy worked for us? Really Steve? Worked? No comparison between needing therapy for some bickering between work partners about who is driving whose car at what speed, and actual marital problems where commitments were made and kids are involved.
Koala Smartass: We are all watching a different show I guess.
- Where I come from if people don’t answer the door nearly immediately, you do not wait around ringing the doorbell untill they have finished: 1) drying off their wet bodies, 2) got dressed, 3) do their make-up, 4) and even take the time to put in earrings and 5) slip on some shoes etc. You kind of presume that they are not at home, or I suspect if you are a perp, you would have barged in long before then ….. Why only barge through the door as soon as, after all that I have mentioned above that she must have done, and when she at long last walks to the door?
Koala Smartass: I was just wondering why the writers or the director felt that she needed a shower in the middle of the afternoon?
- One thing I do not really understand – if the wife knew about the girlfriend, why did she not ask for a divorce? Was the prenup only protecting him against her infidelity and not the other way around?
Koala Smartass: He had the money you silly cow.
- They are working on a serious case of kidnapping, yet Danny has got time to talk to Stan and even call Steve away from the case for some discussion.
Koala Smartass: Never let an urgent case get in the way of some Williams family drama.
- Everybody, Steve included, seemed to forget that Danny and Rachel got back together in bed when Danny was seeking some comfort after his brother fled the Feds. Rachel was all alone because Stan was always away on business, and they shared a family moment with Matt. Things just sometimes happen when you see the person you love in pain … and the sometimes they just escalate without thought of consequences.
Koala Smartass: History rewritten. Nothing unusual in the land of Five-0. What happened with Danny and Rachel might even be the most realistic real life thing in regards to relationships in the whole show.
(Btw, I saw some comments that complain about a “gossiping” Steve that was out of character. But it was Danny who brought up Charlie in front of Harry and got him to ask the question, which Steve just tried to explain in short. #justsaying )
- So you know that perps have got hostages – you therefore storm the house with the whole of HPD and SWAT with all sirens wailing. NO sneaking up and surprising them?
Koala Smartass: It is the Five-0 way I guess.
- Steve: “We’re going to breathe together” Me: ……. “SIGH”
Koala Smartass: Perv!
- Danny orders the older and bigger member (Grover) of the team to take the steps with him, while Chin takes the elevator? No wonder he ends up following the perp alone. Not real clever thinking there.
Koala Smartass: That scene at the chute was shot on Chi’s day off – don’t mess with the schedules.
- I was just wondering how the two guys could hear each other on the phone, while a helicopter was hovering over them? Because the helicopter had to be close by for Steve and Kono to see all that detail with the naked eye. And why did the perp not demand that the helicopter should leave?
Koala Smartass: You are messing with the action stuff of this show again. Rather go and clean your kitchen and leave the man stuff for the boys to worry about.
- When you see a helicopter outside you rather shoot at them and stay in front of the window? Really? What happened to maybe closing the curtains or just stepping inside and taking cover in the room? Why insist on standing in front of the open door?
Koala Smartass: Who ever said baddies are clever?
- How did Chin know where the suspect was running to or where Danny was at the time? He was in a closed elevator when the guy ran passed it and he could have gone back?
Koala Smartass: It was in the script ……
- Why would a greedy wife leave her expensive rings at home when she leaves her husband? After all $1 000 000 ransom is not “that” much when you need to start all over again somewhere with an “ex”-con new boyfriend.
Koala Smartass: I guess she is as dumb as her boyfriend?
And that was Steve’s story for:
Hawaii Five-0 – Episode 7:20
Huikau Na Makau A Ka Lawai’a
(The Fishhooks of the Fishers become Entangled)
Written by: Matt Wheeler
Directed by: Jerry Levine
(31 March 2017)
To be continued …….