From the promotional clips of Episode 7:16 (which will be broadcasted on 10 February), we can see that it is about a so-called ‘staycation’ and double dating for the men and their girlfriends. (In other words, this years’ Valentines episode) I thought it could be a good time to look back at the women on Hawaii Five-0 and how they were described by the Network a while back.
It is always interesting to see that when fans do not like a certain relationship, they say the show is not a soap opera, but whenever questions are given by fans for the reporters to ask the producer, most of the time they are asking about the relationships?
We added some thoughts after each or the Network’s descriptions of the relationships and then we added some pictures of them – together with Steve of course (because here it is always all about Steve/Alex 😀 ).
Article From: CBS
Kono and Adam:
Kono and Adam might just be Hawaii Five-0‘s top sweethearts. They’d already been through thick-and-thin before their wedding vows. Even their special day and honeymoon were interrupted (by a nuclear threat and kidnapping, respectively). Fortunately, they’ve always had each other to rely on.
- Not mentioned here is the fact that Adam had to go to prison for murder as well, and has been released since then already.
McGarrett and Catherine:
Catherine Rollins has been an on-and-off love interest of Steve McGarrett’s since the series began, but disappeared from his life when she chose to stay in Afghanistan to help on a humanitarian mission. She returned on the eve of Kono and Adam’s wedding, much to McGarrett’s delight, but decided to leave again just before he could propose.
- Of course their relationship started long years before the series began.
- Latest update of course is that Cath came back to get Steve’s help to rescue his mother and they both came clean about stuff between them after Lynn spilled the beans about the proposal that never happened.
Lou and Renee Grover:
Lou and Renee joined Hawaii Five-0 in Season 4. The couple lives in tropical bliss with their two children.
- Most of the time we also just see Renee when she is needed for a story and for the most part family stories for Grover were often about his children (We even met his daughter Samantha before his wife).
- And lately even his daughter had to make way for his son Will, who is now dating Danny’s daughter Grace.
Chin and Malia:
Chin Ho Kelly and Dr. Malia Waincroft were engaged before the pilot episode ever aired. They were married in a ceremony featuring Five-0 team members acting as bridesmaids and groomsmen, but it ended in tragedy when she passed away after the second season.
- That is putting it mildly, “passed away” – she was murdered by Frank Delano.
- And of course then her brother Gabriel came in and played a far bigger role than she ever did.
Chin and Leilani:
Chin and Leilani met during the Halawa prison riot. While it may not have been the most romantic way to meet, the two grew close and Chin realized he was ready to find love again.
- After one or two appearances she however disappeared without a trace or any explanation of her whereabouts. Of course we know that in real life the actress had another baby and her busy schedule most probably ‘killed’ this character. But they could have just said something, rather than just having her disappear into the abyss with other females on the show.
Rachel and Danny:
Danny and Rachel’s relationship began while he was a cop in New Jersey. The two divorced there, but Danny may not have ended up with Five-0 if not for her decision to move to Hawaii. She brought their daughter, Grace, to the islands—and he followed. It seemed Rachel might be moving on and she even tried to move to Las Vegas, but after having a son she eventually reveals to Danny that he’s also the boy’s father.
- In my opinion Rachel is one of the most underutilized characters of the show. They could have done so much more with her, rather than just being an incubator for Danny’s offspring.
- And lately we are seeing more and more of their son Charlie now. Wonder how long it will take for no Gracie anymore (since the actress moved to the mainland now to pursue her career in Hollywood and with growing up she lost her cuteness factor)
Danny and Gabby:
Danny and Dr. Gabrielle Asano certainly seemed to be getting serious when he decided to introduce her to his daughter, Grace, in Season 2. The on-again-off-again relationship ended when she accepted a job offer in Denver.
- This relationship was very much decided by the actresses’ personal life and her getting pregnant, I think. Also lots of potential for character story lost here, but at least they told us what happened to her (not something often done with these filler characters on Hawaii Five-0)
Danny and Amber/ Melissa:
Always popular with the ladies, Danny befriended a fellow east coaster, named Amber, when she moved to the island in Season 4. Later, he would save her from a violent ex-boyfriend. That’s when she revealed she’d been hiding from the ex under a fake identity. Her real name was Melissa. With everything out in the open, the two got a fresh start.
- It was actually not her ex-boyfriend, but her husband.
- What a strange relationship, with everything happening off screen and whenever she is there she looks very involved in Danny’s life, but when she is not used, she seems to not exist at all ….
Sabrina and Max:
Bank teller Sabrina Lane caught the eye of Dr. Max Bergman and he visited her weekly. Unfortunately, the bank was robbed on the day he finally worked up the courage to ask her out. Sabrina was injured, and Max sweetly stayed by her bedside in the hospital until her parents could arrive.
- Unfortunately most of their relationship happened off screen – even their wedding. And now they both left.
Of course there are some relationships not mentioned in the CBS article:
Chin and Abby:
- Abby joined Five-0 undercover for the FBI. It was love at first sight for her and Chin. After her cover as spy was blown, she was offered a job at HPD.
- And then apart from one appearance and one other mention this season, she is missing in action. I am not sure exactly how her present projects is affecting her role. Will she ever be back or not?
Steve and Lynn:
- Steve and Lynn was introduced to each other by Ellie, and the two have been dating for a year now – mostly off screen. How serious are they? I guess time will tell ……..
In a very well written review by Mr Mike for Episode 7:14, the subject of respect for the intelligence of viewers, as well as respect for women as a group came up. He then also got a lengthy and honest comment about it from someone, which he posted with his review: Link
We also posted a story about the subject 3 years ago, which brought up some interesting comments at the time: Hawaii Five-0 …… where have all the ladies gone?
How do you feel, are women (and relationships) really important for the writers of the show, or are they just used as plot devices? Do you think it is wrong or do you think is it normal for an action show like Hawaii Five-0 to do that?