I appeared in the original Hawaii Five-O and can’t wait to meet the new Detective Steve McGarrett
– by George Takei –
(in My TV Hero series)
article by Patrick Kingsley
Monday, 5 September 2011
I love watching the new Hawaii Five-0 show with my husband, Brad Altman. We travel a lot, so we tend to record two or three episodes and then have a Five-0 fest for a whole night. What I especially like is the way Alex O’Loughlin has developed the lead character, Detective Steve McGarrett.
I was a big fan of the original series from way back in the 70s, when it was first televised. In those days, McGarrett was played as a granite, stolid character. But O’Loughlin has added more dimensions. He has been in other series, but I’ve not seen them – and I think that’s what makes his McGarrett much more interesting for me. I see it without the influence of other characters that he has created.
McGarrett is still the classic TV hero – courageous, strong, handsome and all that – but he is also tortured by his father’s death, and has a sense of responsibility for his family; as a son, and as a sibling. And that makes him a more layered character. The connections that he has developed with the other lead characters – Scott Caan, Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Bark – have turned Hawaii Five-0 into a very interesting story.
It’s a totally changed show, certainly in terms of rhythm and colour. And while I loved it back then for what it was, I love it even more for what it is today. It’s not just action and adventure any more, but an exploration of character and relationships as well. I love Hawaii, and the show lets me go there vicariously every week.
I appeared in the original Hawaii Five-O, and there’s even the possibility of me appearing again. If that happens, I’m really looking forward to meeting Alex. I only know him as McGarrett, so I can’t wait to meet Alex O’Loughlin, the actor behind the character. And I’ll definitely tell him I’m a fan. Why would I not? I always enjoy it when someone comes up and says they’re a fan of mine.
- I think it is a very nice and rather great compliment for Alex and his character of Steve, coming from George. George has been part of the Hollywood industry for such a long time and shared the screen with many other great talents.
- I remember that I first read this article in those beginning days of being a Alex fangirl and enjoyed these comments from George very much. It just reinforced my ‘small’ infatuation with Alex at that stage. 😀
- Of course a year after this article, George got his chance to be on Hawaii Five-0, in Episode 3:11 as Chin’s uncle – Uncle Choi. The part was very small and he did not get a chance to share the screen with Alex. 😦 But I’m kind of sure that they got the chance to meet. In my opinion they could have given him a bigger part to play.
- George is a very interesting person to follow on social media. He is really a fun guy, with a great sense of humour.
- And I have to agree with George – Steve McGarrett is my TV hero.