Whether I was working on a building site or auditioning or moving to the US, I’ve always done it with all of my heart. I don’t know how to do it any other way.
Alex O’Loughlin, GQ Australia, November 2011
We continue our ‘biography‘ and account of Alex’s life, in this third part of ‘Alex O’Loughlin’s Diary‘.
Just a reminder that it is a chronological account of his life (mostly his career), gathered from information of events he attended, interviews, articles and candid pictures posted by others.
- 11 July 2012 – In a beautiful open door ceremony, Alex and some of the cast and crew took part in the now traditional season ‘Blessing Ceremony‘ on the first day of shooting Season 3 of Hawaii Five-0. (Transcript of HNN interview)
- 1 August 2012 – Alex, together with Scott and Masi Oka attend the Television Critics Association (TCA) press day, having lots of fun and even showing of their choice in socks. (Link to interviews from the day)
- 4 August 2012 – Alex and Scott Caan dropped by to show love and support at Kuhio Beach at the 9th Annual Surf4Hugs, taking lots of pictures with fans.
- 23 August 2012 – Alex’s rep confirms questions from the media, that Alex and his partner Malia Jones, are expecting a child together – both of them already parents with a son each, from previous relationships. (what was not mentioned at the time, was that Malia was already more than 7 months into the pregnancy)
- 8 September 2012 – The Navy SEAL Foundation of Hawaii annual fundraising dinner is held aboard the USS Missouri. The foundation provides money, support, scholarships and computers for the wives and children of SEALs killed in action. Alex was the guest of honour!
- 12 September 2012 – Alex and some of the cast share some thoughts and information with the media. In an interview with HNN, Alex mentioned that he and Malia were expecting a boy in about 4-5 weeks time.
- 23 September 2012 – It was Hawaii Five-o SOTB night and once again the fans from all over the world gathered at Waikiki beach to see Alex and the cast on the red carpet and to watch the first episode of Season 3 with them. Malia, already 8 months pregnant also attended the event with Alex. Some of the guest that arrived with them included Alex’s son Saxon, Malia’s son Spike, Malia’s father and stepmother, and also her brother, Pro-Surfer Daniel Jones and his wife Natalie. Kacy Byxbee (Scott Caan’s girlfriend, who is part of the Hawaii Five-0 wardrobe department) also came with them, as Scott was still in LA after his mother had passed away earlier that week. (Link to the HNN interview with Alex)
- Also present at Sunset on the beach, was CBS executive Nina Tassler, who has been an advocate for Alex’s career since the Moonlight days. She gave up a night at the Emmy’s for this event, and was in Hawaii with her husband director Jerry Levine. In a live interview with HNN, she mentioned that Alex is a real superstar! (Unfortunately I only witnessed the interview live and have not since then, been able to locate a video copy of it anywhere)
- 25 October 2012 – Alex’s second child Lion is born in Honolulu. It was announced through Alex’s publicist, that Malia gave birth to the boy that day. (This is the link to our post about the announcement)
- 10 November 2012 – Alex and Scott attend the CBS International press conference in LA. Alex clearly looked tired and sleep deprived in some of the interviews.
- 14 November 2012 – Cro Customs from LA, made a special delivery of Alex’s newly built racing motorcycle to him in Hawaii.
- 9 February 2013 – Alex hosted the Annual Sustainable Coastlines Hawaii ‘ Love your Ocean‘ Fundraiser in Hawaii. Alex attended the event with his partner Malia and their collective family. Alex posed for a lot of photos with fans, but people attending, were asked not to take photos and no pictures of him with his family members were made available by the official photographers.
- February 2013 – Hawaii Five-0, Episode 3:19 covered a story about a girl from a roller blade team that got murdered and while shooting with the team Alex happily posed for a photo with them. When stunt co-ordinator, Jeff Cadiente tweeted the picture, the fangirls went crazy. Look at it and you will see why. (Thank you Jeff for providing us with all these gems!)
- 13 April 2013 – Alex and partner Malia attend the ‘Relay for Life’ of University of Hawaii, Manoa. He participates as guest speaker and took photographs with fans. Malia can be seen in the background on some of them.
- 13 April 2013 – After having a set visit from singer James Taylor and his family during the week, Alex and Malia, together with fellow actor Daniel Dae Kim and his wife Mia, attended his concert that evening.
- 19 April 2013 – It has now become a familiar sight on the set of Season 3 – Daniel Dae Kim tweeted a photo of Alex, smoking a cigar and this time also playing his guitar. The cigars were often seen on the set of Moonlight and it seems like Alex has made it his tobacco of choice again for this season, with lots of behind the scenes pictures showing him smoking one.
- 22 April 2013 – Alex attend the ‘Wrap party’ for the Hawaii Five-0 cast and crew.
- April 2013 – Alex seems to be having a lot of fun with his sport of preference at the moment. We are regularly entertained by some workout information from his Brazilian Jiu-jitsu trainer Egan Inoue. (Thank you Egan, you are a star!)
- 29 April 2013 – One of the big surprises for fans this year, came when as part of Episode 3:21 of Hawaii Five-0, broadcast this evening, Alex allowed a photo of his son Saxon to be used, to show Steve McGarrett as a young boy playing football.
- 13 May 2013 – Alex appear on the Ellen show for the second time, surprising fans with pictures of his six month old son Lion. Bursting with pride, he talked about his sons and about playing handyman while upgrading his mid-century house in Hawaii.
To be continued here
This page is dedicated to every person who have their own Blog, Facebook page, Tumblr, Pinterest board and Twitter account dedicated to Alex and his work.
And also every person on set and close to Alex who shared information, pictures and news about him all around the internet.
We are forever grateful!