All gifs from the fabulous episode of 1 x 8, Manaó. Steve looked fckn hot in all his black clothes 😀
Monthly Archives: February 2013
“I love playing different roles, the more variety the better. Once I’ve played a role I don’t want to play it again.”
–TV addict.com, Alex O’Loughlin
On reading this quote, one can presume Alex meant he didn’t want to portray the same type of character twice. We think he should have a closer look at some of the roles he played before. ….. 🙂
Let’s refresh his memory:
- Two of the characters Alex played, fell in love with a woman already pregnant by some other faceless guy – Zoe in ‘The Back-Up Plan’ (via a sperm donor) and Mary in ‘The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant’ (via a prison warden). He hooked up with both of them and by the looks of it married and fathered children with them both as well – that is if we take for granted that after the closing credits of ‘The Back-Up Plan‘, Stan and Zoe got married and had another baby or two. Of course Mary and Will already got married it the story and did have a boy together.
- Alex played a serial killer on two occasions – Vincent in ‘Criminal Minds’ (killing his “mother” over and over again) and Michael in ‘FEED’ (feeding his “mother” to death over and over again). They are two very different and unusual serial killers. Both traumatized and triggered by their own mother’s death in their youth. Both of them with “jobs” that involved recording things (and specifically these women) on camera and using computers for editing. Michael used this footage to feed his site and it’s followers. Both them became victims in the end. And also, both creating sympathy from the audience in the end even though what they did was horrible.
- He actually played six roles as a thief or potential thief:
In two of these roles as criminals, he played guys with a lot of tattoos, that would not hesitate to kill somebody in cold blood if needed – Marcus in ‘The Invisible’ and Russell in ‘Whiteout’
Two other thieves he played, were not hardened criminals but more like nice loveable guys that were victims of their circumstances that also found a woman and fell love (and hopefully better ways) – Will in ‘Mary Bryant’ & Jack in ‘Oyster Farmer’
The other two thieves did not really have anything in common, apart from the fact that Alex played them in his youth on Australian TV – Luke Anderson in ‘BlackJack: Sweet Science‘ and Ian Mack in ‘White Collar Blue‘. And
it also turned out that Ian was not a criminal in the end.
- Two of the characters Alex played, were guitar playing and singing musicians. – As Mick the human in ‘Moonlight’ and Marshall in ‘August Rush’
- Before Steve, he played an officer in Law Enforcement, twice. In both roles he fell victim to the Man-Thing :wink:. – As Deputy Eric Fraser in the movie ‘The Man-thing’ he was killed by the Man-Thing monster in the swamp and as Detective Kevin Hiatt in ‘The Shield’ he fell victim to the Man-thing monster 😉 of lust when he was let go from the Barn, for getting it on with his fellow officer (on a chair).
- Alex played a “farmer” on two occasions – Jack the Oyster farmer in ‘Oyster Farmer’and Stan the Cheese farmer in ‘The Back-Up Plan‘
- Alex has been involved in two very memorable Bromances on TV so far – Mick and Josef in ‘Moonlight’ and Steve and Danno in ‘Hawaii Five -0’.
And here are some other odd and random connections in Alex’s career.
- Two of the women who played leading ladies opposite him, played vampires before they starred with him – Kate Beckinsale from ‘Whiteout’ and Sophia Myles from ‘Moonlight’ both played vampires in ‘Underworld’
- Two of his leading lady co-stars played the Jane Austen’s character Emma – Kate Beckinsale from ‘Whiteout’ played Emma in a TV Movie in 1996 and Romola Garai, his wife from ‘Mary Bryant’ played Emma in the TV mini-series in 2009.
- Alex and Jonathan Rhys Meyers (his brother in ‘August Rush’), both played characters loved by a woman
played by the same actress, Romola Garai in two different TV series – ‘Mary Bryant’ and ‘Vanity Fair’. Both men fathered a boy child with her in the stories.
- Alex and his kissing partner in ‘The Holiday’, Odette Annabel, both got their first lead roles in American films released in 2010. Odette in ‘You Again’ and Alex in ‘The Back-Up Plan’. Previous to that, both of them had been in other films, but Alex was
the lead in an Australian movie ‘Oyster Farmer’ and in the other films they were not cast as leads. They have both changed their surnames since their earlier screen careers’ but for different reasons. Odette changed hers from Yustman to Annable, because she got married and Alex changed his from O’Lachlan to O’Loughlin to honour his grandfather.
- Alex and Scott Caan, his co-stars in ‘Hawaii Five-0’, both played opposite Gabriel Macht in other movies – Alex in‘Whiteout’ and Scott in ‘American Outlaws’.
- Alex and Sophia Myles, his co-stars in ‘Moonlight’, both played opposite Kate Beckinsale in other movies – Alex in ‘Whiteout’ and Sophia in ‘Underworld’
Alex saw Jordan Belfi die twice in front of him in the roles he portrayed – As Josh in ‘Moonlight’ Episode 11 and Spencer in ‘Hawaii Five-0’, Episode 1:14. Both times he was shot and in those cases, Mick and Steve both on the one hand did and also did not really want him to die
- Both of his loves in ‘ Moonlight’, Beth and Coraline, were romantically pursued in other roles by an older man played by Rufus Sewell. In those movies, they were both in love with a younger hunk at the time – Sophia as Isolde in ‘Tristan & Isolde’ and Shannyn as Jocelyn in ‘A Knight’s Tale’. In both cases the younger men took part in medieval combat methods for the lady’s honour and amusement.
- As Mick, he was twice turned into a vampire in ‘Moonlight’. The first time by Coraline, his wife. He despised her for it, because she did not give him a choice and surprised him with it on their wedding night. The next time by Josef, his best friend, who he begged to do it for the sake of his love, Beth.
- Alex played in two films directed by Brett Leonard, released in 2005. In both these films the actors Jack and Patrick Thompson and Matthew LeNevez co-starred with him – ‘The Man-Thing’ and ‘Feed’
- Alex played two characters with names starting with an “S” – Stan in ‘The Back-Up Plan’ and Steve in ‘Hawaii Five-0’. They both can be seen as his breakout roles into a broader international market – one in Television and the other on the big screen.
- Alex played four characters with names starting with an “M”. Two of them starting with ‘Mic’ – MIChael in ‘FEED’ and MICk in ‘Moonlight’
- And there are MARshall in ‘August Rush’ and MARcus in ‘The Invisible’, that started with ‘Mar’.
Two of his TV shows receive the ‘People’s Choice Award’ for ‘Favourite New TV Drama’. – ‘Moonlight‘ in 2008 and ‘Hawaii Five-0‘ in 2011. One was cancelled after the first season, the other one is still going strong……..
Most actors will
probably have a lot of things happening more than once in their careers. I presume there are a lot more of these funny coincidences in regards with Alex and his career. We can add as we come across them in future. Please let us know if you have found any of your own…..